Thursday, August 20, 2015

Early Release - Slammer

Title: Slammer
Author: Tabatha Vargo
Add to Goodreads

*Synopsis*
The last place Christopher Jacobs, aka X, thought he’d find himself was behind bars. Ten years later, the boy he used to be is gone. In his place is the shell of a man with murder under his belt. Any emotion he once had was left under the gavel when he was given life in prison. That is until the new nurse in the infirmary joins the block.
Putting your hands on a prison employee will get you the hole, but some things are worth their punishment, and something tells him Lyla will be worth more than he bargained for.

Lyla Evans isn’t sure about her new job at a maximum security prison, but showing uncertainty and weakness isn’t an option. Taking care of murders and rapist isn’t ideal, but survival is key. She’s warned ahead of time about a prisoner named X, but when she’s attacked, it’s the dangerous X that saves her. Fraternizing with the prisoners is forbidden, but sometimes the most forbidden things are the sweetest.

~BUY LINKS~


Ten years ago Christopher "X" Jacobs was convicted to life in prison with no chance of parole for a crime he doesn't remember committing. His life since then has been a life of pain, numbness, and fighting to stay alive even when he wants to die. Then Lyla Evans takes a job at the prison as a nurse and X can't resist her.

Desperate for a way to support herself, Lyla takes the only nursing job she could find. Now she works around men who have committed terrible crimes with no remorse. Then she meets X, the toughest inmate there, and she feels a weird connection to him. She wants to help him when she hears details of his alleged crime and sets out to clear his name. Only, things aren't always what they seem, and some secrets can kill.

"The man I was in love with was a murderer - a monster"

Okay I don't even know how to explain how much I liked this book, but hated it at the same time. My emotions are all over the place right now and I don't even know how truly feel about what just happened. X was such an intense and violent character and I loved that part of him just as much as the protective, caring part. He was a complex character that I couldn't figure out and was dying to finally understand him completely. But then when I did I was like, What. The. Fuck.  

Lyla struggled with her attraction to X and thought it was so wrong to have feeling for a man in prison for a horrendous crime, but once she met him she just couldn't stop her feeling. The inner battle she had with herself was really great and I liked the suspense of not knowing what she would do about how she felt. I loved how she was with X even when she thought he was the worst person she could be around. 

So my dilemma comes at the end of the book, around the last ten to fifteen percent. I honestly have no idea if I want o scream until my lungs give out, or cry until I get dehydrated. The epilogue, I loved and thought it was such an intense ending and was perfect for the book, especially the very last line. The last chapter, is driving me a little crazy. I just, I have no words for it and you'll just have to read it to understand.

Overall, Slammer was a crazy intense, sweet, violent, sexy as all get out book that grabbed my attention and wouldn't let it go until I finished. It screwed with my emotions so bad and I honestly don't know when I will get over this, I will probably wake up tomorrow still confused over it. For anyone that likes a darker side to their books, you need to read this one.

**Teaser taken from authors Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment