Tuesday, August 21, 2018

From Here to You


From Here to You
Jamie McGuire
Crash & Burn Book 1
August 21, 2018

As Darby Dixon sits in a tiny Texas church bathroom on her wedding day holding a positive pregnancy test, she realizes that of all the bad decisions she's made in her life, marrying her abusive fiancé would be the worst. She's never been able to stand up for herself, but she'll sure as hell stand up for her baby. With just the cash she has on hand, she runs to get a bus ticket to the farthest place she can afford. Between her sheer grit and pageant-queen smile, she lands a job as a front desk clerk at the Colorado Springs Hotel. It's not a glamorous life, but she and her baby are all that matters.

A former Marine, Scott "Trex" Trexler has worked in the most dangerous, corrupt, war-torn places on earth. Now he finally has a chance to return to the last place he'd felt at peace--Colorado Springs, Colorado, to take a new job with the Cheyenne Mountain Complex, a top-secret military installation buried deep within the granite.

The moment Trex walks into the inn, Darby knows he's dangerous. There's no way she wants to get involved with another man who seems to be keeping way too many secrets. As charming and devastatingly gorgeous as Trex is, he clearly isn't telling her everything. But as wildfires rage on the mountain and Darby's ex-fiancé shows he isn't so willing to let her go, both she and Trex are soon to find out that what you don't know absolutely can hurt you.




I have no shame in admitting I love a good damsel in distress story, especially when her savior is a military man. So when I saw the blurb for Jamie McGuire's newest book you can bet I jumped at the chance to read it. 

From Here to You is the story of Darby, a runaway bride who left her abusive fiance on her wedding day, and Trex, a retired Marine trying to start over with a new job in the one place he thinks will bring him peace. When he meets Darby he instantly know's that she's the one, his one true soul mate that he's been looking for his whole life and who he's measured every girl against, even though he hadn't met her yet. And he doesn't care that she comes with baggage most men would run from, she's his and he's willing to wait until he can prove it to her. 

Honestly this was a really unique story in my opinion and for a lot of different reasons. Not only do we get a hero that is instantly all-in for the relationship while the heroine isn't, which doesn't happen too often in romance books, but we also get a really great way of storytelling where the main characters have different beliefs. I'm not a big fan of bringing religion into the books I read but I actually really enjoyed how it was done in this book. It wasn't forced at all but there were moments that the discussion of beliefs came up since Darby was a catholic and Trex was an atheist. I really liked that they didn't let it become a interference in their relationship and it made me love them even more that they could discuss that topic without it becoming a fight. 

I just generally really liked and enjoyed this couple. I felt so many emotions for them both but Darby is the character that spoke to my heart the most. I admired her for having the strength to leave a bad situation, but I also hurt for her that she didn't feel like she deserved happiness. I was so happy that Trex came into her life and showed her that she didn't deserve to be punished for a past that wasn't her fault. 

There's also a little bit of a mystery, at least for me since I'm obnoxiously curious, surrounding Trex's job. I am dying to find out what exactly is going on at the facility he works at so I hope that's something we'll learn in the upcoming books. 

If you're a fan of this author you'll also be happy to see some of the Maddox brothers make an appearance in this book. I haven't read the book yet but I believe that Darby and Trex are actually characters you meet in Beautiful Burn. Either way, if you know these characters or not, I highly recommend their story. It was captivating, and beautiful, and a story I know I will be re-reading many times over.
CONNECT WITH THE AUTHOR:


No comments:

Post a Comment