Monday, December 19, 2016

A Love Letter to Whiskey

It’s crazy how fast the buzz comes back after you’ve been sober for so long.

Whiskey stood there, on my doorstep, just like he had one year before. Except this time, there was no rain, no anger, no wedding invitation — it was just us.

It was just him — the old friend, the easy smile, the twisted solace wrapped in a glittering bottle.

It was just me — the alcoholic, pretending like I didn’t want to taste him, realizing too quickly that months of being clean didn’t make me crave him any less.

But we can’t start here.

No, to tell this story right, we need to go back.

Back to the beginning.

Back to the very first drop.

This is my love letter to Whiskey. I only hope he reads it.



There's more courage in admitting you love someone and fighting for them than letting them go because it hurts less. 

Dear Kandi Steiner,

You're an evil author, you made me cry and I almost had a heart attack, but I LOVE YOU. Lol.
This book made me feel things that I haven't felt in a long time and I didn't think I would feel them again, you have made me fall in love with a book again.
I couldn't have asked for more, seriously. 

A Love Letter to Whiskey pulled at my heartstrings, it wrecked me and it was such a roller coaster ride that at some point I needed to stop reading because it was TOO MUCH.

I am going to be honest and say that I DON'T DO ANGST. I don't. My friends know that I steer away from it. Emotional pain? Nope, thank you.

But this story..I'm SO glad that I went in blind, because I would have missed out on one of the most powerful reading experiences of the year.

Whenever I could see some light at the end of the tunnel, someway the situation got even worse.

“Because that’s what life’s about. It’s about paddling out and fighting the waves until you find the perfect one to ride home on.” 

At some point, my emotions were all over the place, and I couldn't help, but cry. I was hurting with B. and Jamie and it felt like I was experiencing on my skin everything they were going through. 

The characters drove me so mad, though. I wanted to knock some sense into them, but at the same time, I got their reasons, I understood their fears.

"But sometimes, even when we know something is bad for us, we do it anyway. Maybe for the thrill, maybe to cure our curiosity, or maybe just to lie to ourselves a little longer." 

There was a specific scene that gave me goosebumps everywhere. It was so powerful and I found this scene such an amazing gift from the author to her readers. It was AMAZING. 
I know it's vague, but I really can't spoil anything for you because you have to experience it on your skin. That's the beauty of this story. Don't look for spoilers please, you won't get the same experience. 

I think the last time I read a book as angsty was when I read Thoughtless by S. C. Stephens. Angsty lovers, I know that there are many masochists like you out there, you're going to love this book! And for those who don't love angst, I get you, but at the same time I really hope you're going to give this book a try. It's one of the best reads I've had this year and I won't forget it easily.

This is the kind of book that you want everyone to read, so I hope you do! Such an unforgettable read!


No comments:

Post a Comment