Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Flawed Heart

Title: Flawed Heart
Series: House of Obsidian Book 1
Author: Bella Jewel
Publication Date: June 22, 2015
Add to Goodreads

*Synopsis*
Max & Belle's story

This isn't the man I married.
The man I married was strong, beautiful and pure.
The man I married cherished our lives together.
The man I married loved me.

This...This isn't that man.

One night. One accident. It changes everything.

I wish I could tell you the exact moment he fell out of love with me. I wish I could tell you there was hope. That I hung on. That I fought. I wish I could tell you that we fixed it. That happily every after was just out of our grips.

It wasn't. I ran, in the dead of the night, I packed my things and I left him.

Now I'm back. He's still the same man. A deadly underground fighter for the House of Obsidian. He's still dangerous. He's still broken. I still love him.

This is the part where I'm supposed to turn around and run... But I don't.

~BUY LINKS~


I don't really know where to start with this review. I've been looking forward to Max and Belle's story every since I read Desolation and was first introduced to the characters. But now that I've finally read their story I was a little disappointed. 

Five years ago Belle left her husband, Max, with the secret of their unborn child. Now she's back in town to take care of her dying mother and when she see's Max again she realizes she doesn't want to keep running. Their past isn't as black and white as she believes, though, and getting her husband back will not be easy.

Max interested me from when I first met his character, and I was excited to get his story. Especially after hearing about how is wife was Belle, Pippa's roommate. But then I read this and felt nothing for him. I didn't like him, but I also didn't hate him. He was supposed to be a main character and yet we barely got any of his story and most of his POV was from the then parts and told about how he first met Belle in college.

Speaking of, the flashbacks to how they met seemed completely pointless to me and didn't go with the story at all. Yes, it was giving us a glimpse into how their marriage started but it didn't flow with the story and the characters were different in the then parts than they were in the now parts. It was like two different stories trying to be pushed together. I just didn't enjoy the flashbacks at all. 

Overall, the story was only okay. The story seemed rushed and not put together very well but I did enjoy reading the last half of it. If it wasn't for the way it ended than I would have kept my 4 star rating that I was originally going to go with. It's just that, we finally found out what happened with the marriage and with Max and then it was never brought up again, even though Max still didn't seem to be okay with what his issue was. I think that the author was too worried about trying to give us details of the next books and their characters that she lost the actual story.

I still love Bella Jewel's books and am looking forward to the upcoming ones, especially Raide's, but this one just wasn't my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment